A2 Milk Company Ltd (ASX:A2M) and Webjet Limited (ASX:WEB) shares are among the most shorted shares on the ASX…
The post Here are the 10 most shorted shares on the ASX appeared first on The Motley Fool Australia. –
At the start of each week I like to look at ASIC’s short position report to find out which shares are being targeted by short sellers.
This is because I believe it is well worth keeping a close eye on short interest levels as high levels can sometimes be a sign that something isn’t quite right with a company.
With that in mind, here are the 10 most shorted shares on the ASX this week according to ASIC:
- Webjet Limited (ASX: WEB) is still the most shorted ASX share by some distance. The online travel agent’s short interest remained flat week on week at 14.9%. Short sellers appear to believe the Webjet share price is severely overvalued at the current level.
- Tassal Group Limited (ASX: TGR) has seen its short interest rise again week on week to 12.2%. There are concerns that this salmon producer and other seafood producers could become the next victims of the Australia-China trade war.
- Mesoblast limited (ASX: MSB) has seen its short interest increase to 10.3%. Short sellers continue to target this biotech company after a series of trial disappointments.
- Speedcast International Ltd (ASX: SDA) still has short interest of 9.3%. The communications satellite technology provider’s shares have been suspended for around one year as it undertakes a recapitalisation.
- Inghams Group Ltd (ASX: ING) has 8.4% of its shares held short, which is flat week on week. Short sellers appear to believe that this poultry producer could disappoint in FY 2021 due to an unfavourable sales mix caused by COVID-19.
- AVITA Medical Inc (ASX: AVH) has seen its short interest rise week on week to 8.2%. This medical device company was a poor performer in FY 2020 due to COVID-19 headwinds and short sellers don’t appear to believe that the current financial year will be much better. However, it is worth noting its shares have jumped 37% in the space of a month, much to the dismay of those shorting it.
- InvoCare Limited (ASX: IVC) has short interest of 8.1%, which is down slightly week on week. There are concerns that this funerals company could disappoint in FY 2021 due to increasing competition, COVID headwinds, and market share losses.
- A2 Milk Company Ltd (ASX: A2M) has seen its short interest ease to 7.8%. Short sellers don’t appear to believe the weakness in the daigou channel will be a quick fix and may be expecting it to persist into FY 2022. This could weigh on its growth in the near term.
- Service Stream Limited (ASX: SSM) has entered the top ten with short interest of 7.3%. This essential network services company’s shares came under pressure recently after it revealed that it was sharing its NBN work with other contractors.
- Metcash Limited (ASX: MTS) has re-entered the top ten with short interest of 7.3%. Short sellers aren’t giving up on the wholesale distributor despite its strong form so far in FY 2021. They may believe the market is too bullish on its outlook.
Where to invest $1,000 right now
When investing expert Scott Phillips has a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the flagship Motley Fool Share Advisor newsletter he has run for more than eight years has provided thousands of paying members with stock picks that have doubled, tripled or even more.*
Scott just revealed what he believes are the five best ASX stocks for investors to buy right now. These stocks are trading at dirt-cheap prices and Scott thinks they are great buys right now.
*Returns as of June 30th
- Here’s one party Woolies and Coles will not be attending
- 3 reasons why the A2 Milk share price could be a buy
- Afterpay and BrainChip were some of the most traded ASX shares last week
- Aussies ready to splash on travel, entertainment, cars
- Here are the 10 most shorted shares on the ASX
James Mickleboro has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool Australia’s parent company Motley Fool Holdings Inc. owns shares of Avita Medical Limited. The Motley Fool Australia owns shares of and has recommended A2 Milk and Webjet Ltd. The Motley Fool Australia has recommended Avita Medical Limited, InvoCare Limited, and Service Stream Limited. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.