Oil Search has passed another key hurdle in its proposed merger with Santos.
The post Oil Search (ASX:OSH) share price dips despite PNG court approval of Santos (ASX:STO) merger appeared first on The Motley Fool Australia. –
The Oil Search Ltd (ASX: OSH) share price is in reverse today. This comes after the energy company revealed the National Court of Papua New Guinea’s decision regarding its merger scheme with Santos Ltd (ASX: STO).
During late afternoon trade, Oil Search shares are trading 1.43% lower to $4.14 apiece. The S&P/ASX 200 Index (ASX: XJO) is also down today by 0.07% to 7,400.2 points.
What was the decision?
In today’s statement, Oil Search advised that it has received approval from the National Court of Papua New Guinea in regards to its merger with Santos.
This is another key hurdle within the merger implementation deed that needed to be satisfied. Previously, the company required its shareholders to vote in favour of the transaction, which passed with flying colours.
The latest approval takes Oil Search and Santos one step closer to becoming a super oil and gas company.
Under the scheme, Oil Search shareholders will receive 0.6275 new Santos shares for each Oil Search share held.
Once the transaction is completed, this will give Oil Search shareholders a 38.5% stake in the newly-merged entity. Santos shareholders would retain the remaining 61.5% interest.
Oil Search expects to lodge a certified copy of the orders with the Papua New Guinea Registrar of Companies tomorrow. This will make the scheme effective and Oil Search will apply to have its shares suspended.
Both Oil Search and Santos are hoping to create the largest oil and gas company listed on the ASX. The merged company will have a diversified portfolio of long-life and low-cost assets with significant growth options.
Oil Search share price summary
Since this time last year, the Oil Search share price has risen by more than 10%.
The company’s shares have moved sideways for most of 2021 amid uncertainty in the global economic recovery.
Based on today’s price, Oil Search commands a market capitalisation of $8.6 billion and has 2 billion shares outstanding.
The post Oil Search (ASX:OSH) share price dips despite PNG court approval of Santos (ASX:STO) merger appeared first on The Motley Fool Australia.
Should you invest $1,000 in Oil Search right now?
Before you consider Oil Search, you’ll want to hear this.
Motley Fool Investing expert Scott Phillips just revealed what he believes are the 5 best stocks for investors to buy right now… and Oil Search wasn’t one of them.
The online investing service he’s run for nearly a decade, Motley Fool Share Advisor, has provided thousands of paying members with stock picks that have doubled, tripled or even more.* And right now, Scott thinks there are 5 stocks that are better buys.
*Returns as of August 16th 2021
Motley Fool contributor Aaron Teboneras has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool Australia’s parent company Motley Fool Holdings Inc. has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool Australia has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.