Insights

Why is the CSR share price plunging 9% today?

The broker’s have weighed in with their opinions after CSR’s earnings yesterday.
The post Why is the CSR share price plunging 9% today? appeared first on The Motley Fool Australia. –

Investors are punishing the CSR Limited (ASX: CSR) share price in Thursday’s session having pushed prices 9% lower on the day.

CSR shares are currently swapping hands at $5.20 apiece as downward pressure continues on the company from traders exiting positions en masse.

Volume is also 625% off its 4-week average amid a slew of broker downgrades, despite the majority of analysts still advocating to buy.

CSR share price revised down

Jefferies and Macquarie both levelled off their view of CSR in recent notes, both downgrading the company to neutral.

Analysts at Jefferies reckon there “is a period of capex catch-up ahead” in correspondence to clients and “…forecasts, the prospect of the current pipeline of work falling sharply”.

The broker also mentioned that headwinds in the housing market, such as interest rates and softening prices will also weaken new housing approvals.

It cut CSR to a hold at a $5.90 per share valuation, just behind Macquarie who values the share at $6.05 each.

Analysts at UBS were less pessimistic on the outlook, baking in a strong buy call that’s been retained for some time now by the Swiss investment bank.

Still, these three brokers would be going against the grain, even after the company’s full year earnings release yesterday.

At present, 75% of coverage has CSR as a buy right now, according to Bloomberg data. Whereas the remaining 25% advocate to hold CSR shares.

The consensus price target from this list is $6.35 per share, implying a 22% upside potential should the bull thesis play out.

CSR share price snapshot

In the last 12 months, the CSR share price has booked a 15% loss after extending another 11% into the red this year to date.

In fact, across all major time frames, CSR shares are in the red.

The post Why is the CSR share price plunging 9% today? appeared first on The Motley Fool Australia.

Should you invest $1,000 in CSR right now?

Before you consider CSR, you’ll want to hear this.

Motley Fool Investing expert Scott Phillips just revealed what he believes are the 5 best stocks for investors to buy right now… and CSR wasn’t one of them.

The online investing service he’s run for over a decade, Motley Fool Share Advisor, has provided thousands of paying members with stock picks that have doubled, tripled or even more.* And right now, Scott thinks there are 5 stocks that are better buys.

*Returns as of January 13th 2022

More reading

CSR share price lifts as company constructs 20% more profit
Do CSR shares have a dividend reinvestment plan?
Is the CSR share price fully valued in April 2022?
How big will the CSR dividend be in 2022?
Top broker warns this ASX 200 share may be next to issue a profit warning

Motley Fool contributor Zach Bristow has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool Australia’s parent company Motley Fool Holdings Inc. has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool Australia has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Scott Phillips.

Trade The World Anywhere & Anytime!

Mobile app platform with over 50,000 global listed securities across 12 markets (over 70% global market capitalisation), right from your Android or iOS device.

Integrated with exclusive trading idea and investment analysis tools to help you find actionable insight on virtually every financial instrument across our 12 global markets, to help you optimise your trading strategies.

Refer Your Friends

Tell your friends about Monex and gift them FREE access to our trading tools.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

We respect your privacy and will only send this one email notification to your friends. 

Share With Your Friends

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

Monex Trading Tools Access and Usage Terms

The Monex Trading Tools (referred to as ‘tools’ hereafter) are available to you inside your client portal;


To activate access to the tools, you must have a verified and approved trading account and have made a deposit of at least AUD $1000.


An active and funded account with a positive trading balance is required to continue to have access to the tools;


Although the tools are available to you indefinitely, Monex Securities may at it’s discretion disable access to the tools in the future;


Monex securities reserves the right to change these terms and conditions from time to time, as it sees fit, without notice.

Important Notice
iOS & Android - 12 International Markets & Over 70% Global Market Cap. $0 Brokerage On US & HK* Trades. Click Here!