Insights

Why is the Vital Metals (ASX:VML) share price is in a trading halt today?

The company is preparing for a big announcement…
The post Why is the Vital Metals (ASX:VML) share price is in a trading halt today? appeared first on The Motley Fool Australia. –

The Vital Metals Limited (ASX: VML) share price isn’t going anywhere on Wednesday. This comes after the rare earths mining company requested a trading halt before market open.

As such, Vital Metals shares remain frozen at 6.1 cents apiece. It’s worth noting that the company’s shares have gained almost 25% in the past week.

Why are Vital Metals shares in a trading halt?

The Vital Metal share price was placed in a trading halt this morning pending an important acquisition announcement.

While no details have been given by the company, several media outlets have indicated what’s happening behind the curtain.

According to the Australian Financial Review, Vital Metals is set to acquire two projects from Quebec Precious Metals Corporation. Reportedly, both parties have signed a binding term sheet involving the C$8 million (A$8.5 million) purchase.

The first takeover relates to the Kipawa Rare Earth project in which Vital Metals will buy a 68% stake. The remaining 32% interest is held by joint venture partner Investissement Quebec.

Meantime, the second investment is for a 100% interest in the Zeus Rare Earth project.

Both heavy rare earth projects are expected to complement Vital Metals’ light rare earth operations at Nechalacho in Canada’s Northwest Territories. This could potentially make the company the only producer of both heavy and light rare earth materials in North America.

Just last week, Vital Metals completed its first rare earths production at its Nechalacho project.

About the Vital Metals share price

Since this time last year, Vital Metals shares have risen sharply by more than 280%. In 2021 alone, the company’s share price is up 90%, reflecting positive investor sentiment.

Vital Metals presides a market capitalisation of roughly $253.4 million with approximately 4.1 billion shares on its registry.

The post Why is the Vital Metals (ASX:VML) share price is in a trading halt today? appeared first on The Motley Fool Australia.

Should you invest $1,000 in Vital Metals right now?

Before you consider Vital Metals, you’ll want to hear this.

Motley Fool Investing expert Scott Phillips just revealed what he believes are the 5 best stocks for investors to buy right now… and Vital Metals wasn’t one of them.

The online investing service he’s run for nearly a decade, Motley Fool Share Advisor, has provided thousands of paying members with stock picks that have doubled, tripled or even more.* And right now, Scott thinks there are 5 stocks that are better buys.

*Returns as of May 24th 2021

More reading

Here’s why the Vital Metals (ASX:VML) share price is flying today
Vital Metals (ASX:VML) share price leaps 6% on production update
Here’s why the Vital Metals (ASX:VML) share price is flying higher today

Motley Fool contributor Aaron Teboneras has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool Australia’s parent company Motley Fool Holdings Inc. has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool Australia has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Bruce Jackson.

Trade The World Anywhere & Anytime!

Mobile app platform with over 50,000 global listed securities across 12 markets (over 70% global market capitalisation), right from your Android or iOS device.

Integrated with exclusive trading idea and investment analysis tools to help you find actionable insight on virtually every financial instrument across our 12 global markets, to help you optimise your trading strategies.

Refer Your Friends

Tell your friends about Monex and gift them FREE access to our trading tools.

We respect your privacy and will only send this one email notification to your friends. 

Share With Your Friends

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

Monex Trading Tools Access and Usage Terms

The Monex Trading Tools (referred to as ‘tools’ hereafter) are available to you inside your client portal;


To activate access to the tools, you must have a verified and approved trading account and have made a deposit of at least AUD $1000.


An active and funded account with a positive trading balance is required to continue to have access to the tools;


Although the tools are available to you indefinitely, Monex Securities may at it’s discretion disable access to the tools in the future;


Monex securities reserves the right to change these terms and conditions from time to time, as it sees fit, without notice.

Important Notice
iOS & Android App - 12 International Markets & Over 70% Global Market Cap. $0 Brokerage On US Trades. Click Here!