Insights

Why Redbox Entertainment Is Tumbling Today

What happened
Shares of Redbox Entertainment (NASDAQ: RDBX) are tumbling 4.6% at 10:36 a.m. ET on Wednesday after it was announced the video rental kiosk owner would be acquired by Chicken Soup for the Soul Entertainment (NASDAQ: CSSE) in an all-stock deal that will see Redbox shareholders receive 0.87 shares of Chicken Soup for every Redbox share they own.
Trading of Redbox shares has been halted five different times this morning as the stock repeatedly plowed through circuit breakers. Shares of Chicken Soup, on the other hand, were trading 8.7% higher on the announcement.
Image source: Getty Images.

So what
Chicken Soup for the Soul Entertainment is the smaller of the two companies, worth about half of Redbox’s $250 million valuation. It bills itself as “one of the largest operators of advertising-supported video-on-demand (AVOD) streaming services” and says the acquisition will create a leading independent, integrated direct-to-consumer media platform.
It certainly seems like a good deal for Chicken Soup, which will gain Redbox’s 38,000 kiosks and its 40 million loyalty program customers, as well as its digital TV assets. Redbox investors, though, are getting shares in a company that has lost 82% of its value over the past year, though Redbox CEO Galen Smith says the deal is “ideal” because it helps the movie rental company transition from a physical to digital entertainment company.
Now what
The deal values Redbox at $375 million, which includes $50 million worth of Chicken Soup stock and $325 million in Redbox debt that’s being assumed. Redbox went public last year via a reverse merger with a special purpose acquisition company (SPAC), but has reported mounting losses.
Chicken Soup shareholders will own 76.5% of the combined company while Redbox investors will own the remaining 23.5%.
Rich Duprey has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. –

What happened

Shares of Redbox Entertainment (NASDAQ: RDBX) are tumbling 4.6% at 10:36 a.m. ET on Wednesday after it was announced the video rental kiosk owner would be acquired by Chicken Soup for the Soul Entertainment (NASDAQ: CSSE) in an all-stock deal that will see Redbox shareholders receive 0.87 shares of Chicken Soup for every Redbox share they own.

Trading of Redbox shares has been halted five different times this morning as the stock repeatedly plowed through circuit breakers. Shares of Chicken Soup, on the other hand, were trading 8.7% higher on the announcement.

Image source: Getty Images.

So what

Chicken Soup for the Soul Entertainment is the smaller of the two companies, worth about half of Redbox’s $250 million valuation. It bills itself as “one of the largest operators of advertising-supported video-on-demand (AVOD) streaming services” and says the acquisition will create a leading independent, integrated direct-to-consumer media platform.

It certainly seems like a good deal for Chicken Soup, which will gain Redbox’s 38,000 kiosks and its 40 million loyalty program customers, as well as its digital TV assets. Redbox investors, though, are getting shares in a company that has lost 82% of its value over the past year, though Redbox CEO Galen Smith says the deal is “ideal” because it helps the movie rental company transition from a physical to digital entertainment company.

Now what

The deal values Redbox at $375 million, which includes $50 million worth of Chicken Soup stock and $325 million in Redbox debt that’s being assumed. Redbox went public last year via a reverse merger with a special purpose acquisition company (SPAC), but has reported mounting losses.

Chicken Soup shareholders will own 76.5% of the combined company while Redbox investors will own the remaining 23.5%.

Rich Duprey has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

Trade The World Anywhere & Anytime!

Mobile app platform with over 50,000 global listed securities across 12 markets (over 70% global market capitalisation), right from your Android or iOS device.

Integrated with exclusive trading idea and investment analysis tools to help you find actionable insight on virtually every financial instrument across our 12 global markets, to help you optimise your trading strategies.

Refer Your Friends

Tell your friends about Monex and gift them FREE access to our trading tools.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

We respect your privacy and will only send this one email notification to your friends. 

Share With Your Friends

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

Monex Trading Tools Access and Usage Terms

The Monex Trading Tools (referred to as ‘tools’ hereafter) are available to you inside your client portal;


To activate access to the tools, you must have a verified and approved trading account and have made a deposit of at least AUD $1000.


An active and funded account with a positive trading balance is required to continue to have access to the tools;


Although the tools are available to you indefinitely, Monex Securities may at it’s discretion disable access to the tools in the future;


Monex securities reserves the right to change these terms and conditions from time to time, as it sees fit, without notice.

Important Notice
iOS & Android - 12 International Markets & Over 70% Global Market Cap. $0 Brokerage On US & HK* Trades. Click Here!